Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Weekend Warrior Bootcamp

As I said in my previous post, a few ladies and myself from the area have gotten together during the latest 12wbt.  The gym I go to was holding a weekend bootcamp and after discussing it over the Forum and Facebook a few of us decided to give it a go.  It consisted of 5 sessions over a weekend, starting Friday afternoon and finishing Sunday. 
I have to say I was pretty scared on Friday of what I had gotten myself in for. We were at the cricket fields for the first session and it consisted on lots of sprints, frog jumps, sprints, lunges and did I say sprints?  The trainer asked me how I was going and I could only puff, "I'm f*cked!" 
I woke Saturday morning and my legs were pretty sore, it had been awhile since I did any sort of running like that which was great as I had been a little bit disappointed in my leg training lately.  The unfortunate part was that the Saturday morning session was held at our fitness trail.  So instead of normal sprints, it was hill sprints!  Lunges up the hill and squats.  I reverted back to my childhood when faced with the monkey bars and immediately said how I couldn't do these as a kid there is no way I can do them now.  The funny thing is I know that I have the strength to do it - it was my head that got in the way!  The same goes for box jumps and over the fence jumps (I think that's what they are called), I don't trust that my body can do it and that I will trip over.  My legs were killing me by the end of the session and I was hating the fact that we have stairs in our house.
Saturday afternoon we went to yet another freaking hill with damned stairs.  Yep, we ran up those God awful stairs, jumped up the stairs and had a circuit happening with tricep dips on the BOSU, walking pushups, shoulder press and ab work as well as some plyo work.  We ended that session with a run up one of the steepest hills in the town.  I made it 3/4 of the way up before I had to walk.
Sunday morning came around.  I had slept in my compression tights and had an espsom salts bath the night before but I'm not sure it helped too much.  I was tired and emotional after not sleeping too well but my mantra was "there is no crying in the gym" in my case it was the hill.  Yep, Sunday morning was a workout on One Tree Hill.  I can't say I was pumped.  After running up to the top we did a circuit which included some boxing which I enjoyed, it has been awhile since I donned the gloves.  We finished the session with ab work and who could hold the V sit for the longest.  It got down to another lady and myself which was about when I started sledging (all in good fun) and I ended up sticking it out the longest.
By Sunday afternoon I was feeling pretty good again.  My legs were recovering and although my abs and calves had DOMS from hell the finish line was in sight.  It was back to the cricket oval and this sesh was less cardio and more strength.  We were all moaning and groaning which was part of the fun.
Overall, I had a great weekend.  It was tough and I have DOMS from hell but I also had an absolute ball.  We had a fantastic bunch of people and everyone got on so well.  I think if the gym were to do it again I would sign up in a flash.

6 comments:

Maryanne said...

Nice work Michelle - that sounds TOUGH!

It's funny how at the time we grit our teeth, swear and think we are going to die, but in the next breath we are happy to sign up again - this is me to a T!

How are the DOMMS now?

Unknown said...

Do I get any fitness credit by just reading your blog????

Kek said...

I admire you for it, but I'm not inspired to try it. LOL. Crazy woman!

Shar said...

Sounds like a full on weekend Michelle! a run and a Bodyattack is enough for me!! :0
Cool to read about.

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle! Sprints--is that a swear word??? :D

That sounded brutal but good. Did you have a big soft couch to squish your tired limbs into when you got done?

:-) Marion

Unknown said...

MA - my legs and abs are still a bit tender but I'll live :o)

Linda - LOL!

Kek - just a little bit crazy ;o)

Shar - it was full on. I couldn't do it all the time but I can tick the box to say that I've done it.

Marion - the problem with a big soft couch is that you have to get out of it sometime. LOL!