Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Skinny Girls


This picture was posted in a Facebook group that I'm in and I have to admit I really dislike it on so many levels.

1. I have never been overweight, the heaviest I have been was 58 kg, so does that make me naturally skinny?  Maybe I'm being overly sensitive but, to me, it seems like it is saying that if you are petite you are some sort of weakling compared to someone who has had to 'work for it'.  I like to think I hold my own in the gym.  I know I may not be the strongest person, but who gives a toss really, I know I work to the best of my abilities and I often finish my workout proud of how I have trained.

2. Is there such a thing as naturally skinny?  As I have never been overweight I guess people assume I'm naturally thin but I have always exercised and had a fairly balanced diet.  I can't get away with now with what I did in my teens and early 20's (I'm talking takeaway, chockies and alcohol) but, in saying that, I also had loads of the good stuff too.  I guess my point is that while I do have some okay genetics, I've also had to work hard for what I have.  If I didn't watch what I eat and exercise I doubt I would be naturally thin.

3.  But my main issue is with the word skinny.  Perhaps I perceive the term skinny as a negative thing but I don't aspire to look skinny but to look fit and healthy.

6 comments:

Kek said...

Blah. I would say its more likely that many girls who've "had to fight to be skinny" spend their lives following stupid diets.

HATE that word. Not something to aspire to, in my view.

Magda said...

I associate skinny with the fashion model look and IMO there is nothing uglier. Clothes hang off them like they're 2 sizes too big and those stick arms ... aaargh.

Fit and healthy rocks!!

Liz N said...

Yeah, agreed - hate the 'fight to be skinny' comment..ugh

Unknown said...

Yeah, that's an unfair comment to you. You still committed an incredible amount of work and effort to get to this point. No one can take that away from you--no one!

Regarding the weight, there are people in my weight loss group who eating tiny amounts of food but still struggle with their weight. I used to feel sorry for myself that I could not eat as much as my husband and kids, but now realize that I eat *so much!!!* more than one of my friends, who is fatter than I am. It humbled me. I struggle with weight, but not as much as some people do. Some people are "fighting" just to have less serious medical conditions, though I'm certain that the image was not referring to those people either.

Overall, bummer image. All of us healthy people are "lucky."

:-) Marion

Sandra said...

I don't know Michelle...does anyone find "skinny" attractive or something to aspire to? My youngest girl was always very thin...long long legs and could still pass for a model...but she increased her dance classes this year (total of 11 hours a week) because she is absolutely loves it, and she has developed muscle everywhere..!...she loves that she has definition in her arms, calves and boy oh boy those buns! She's only 14 but she prefers a fit body to a "naturally" skinny body. xo

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments. I agree Magda that when I associate skinny with fashion model skinny which isn't what I aspire to. You are right though Marion that we healthy people are the lucky ones.