Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Digging Deep

Today was a fun workout - tough but fun.  It looked a little confusing:

Teams of 3
Indian File sequence.
10 Power Clean 50% 1RM
7 Burpees
1 X 40meter shuttle drill
….
AMRAP – 10min
Rest 3min
Repeat for a Total of 3 times
Team Members can not move onto the next exercise until the team member before them has Finished.
For First team member can not start a new round until all team members are back at the bar from the shuttle
As we had an odd number of people there were a couple of teams of 2 which made it a little easier to understand.  Person 1 had to do the cleans and burpees and when they went out for the run Person 2 started. It was the same with the team of 3 except they had to wait until everyone had finished the shuttle runs before they could start the next round.

It always intrigues me the headgames that come into play in these workouts.  In the first 10 minutes, my partner and I  managed to get out 9 rounds between us.  I found the second round tougher (obviously) and I had a few blonde moments when I accidentally did 10 burpees instead of 7 (who does that!!).  I somehow found my second wind in the third round and picked up the pace in the final minutes.  It doesn't seem to matter how long the workout is, it can be a WOD like this or something like Fran which is a sub 10 minute workout but it is always the same, the second round is always the toughest.  The second round is when I want to give up, or I start doubting my weight selection, that I feel like I have so far to go and I get my sad face on.  That's the moment I have to dig deep, I can't let my inner sooky-la-la win.  Over the course of the last year I think I have improved at putting that whiny biarch in her box and pushing myself through that sticking point that is the second round.

2 comments:

Magda said...

You sound just like me Mich. When I was training for the half marathon my coach would send my training program and as I was out early in the morning in the dark, I'd have to remember my distances and repeats and splits etc. It did my head in and times that by 10 when you're pushing yourself to a physical limit. You're doing SO well. I'm in awe!!

xx m

Unknown said...

I get amazed by people who have done marathons and half marathons! Such mental strength is needed for that :-)