Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Benchmark Wednesday

It seems like Wednesdays have become a benchmark or Hero workout day and today's bit of fun was 'Filthy Fifty'.
For Time:
50 Box Jumps 24″
50 Jumping Pull Ups
50 KettleBell Swings 16kg
50 Walking Lunge Steps
50 Knees to Elbows
50 Push Press 20kg
50 Back ext
50 Wall Ball Shots 10kg
50 Burpees
50 Double Unders
 
I was really nervous about this one this morning as it is an awful lot of work.  I knew I could get through it if given enough time but the class is only an hour.  LOL!  Luckily we could modify the reps to 'Dirty 30' or 'Naughty 40'.  I was a little concerned about the wall balls in particular so had settled on 30.  Unfortunately, Sean didn't agree with me and it increased to 40.
 
As predicted it was a tough workout which I completed in 29:04.  As I thought, the wall balls were the most mentally challenging for me and having to do the burpees and double unders at the end was a struggle as well.  I'm glad our coach pushed me out of my comfort zone.  If I had done 30 reps of each I would have felt like I hadn't worked hard enough when I finished the workout.  I swear my coaches know me better than I do.

I just realised that the WOD has the prescribed weights above.  I wish I could do it Rxd but, alas, I'm not quite there yet.  My scaling for this workout was 3 plates for box jumps (my highest yet!), 12 kg KB swings, knee raises (it's funny how I can do toes to bar but can't do knee to elbow!), 15 kg push press and 4 kg wall balls (and the lower height).

3 comments:

Liz N said...

You ARE AWESOME!

Pip said...

Wow, that sounds bloody hard and you sound very fit! I can't even do a 16 inch box jump unless I do a short run up, (or am too afraid to try incase I fall on my ankle!) 12 inch ones for me max. I'm on 8kg kettlebells atm lol, they are tough enough....I have lots of work to do with this style of training!

Unknown said...

Thanks Miss Lizzy :-)

Pip, I totally forgot to say what scaling I did for this workout as the weights and box jump height written here are Rxd. I scale down from this. At the moment I'm jumping on 3 plates which isn't quite 12" as I'm afraid of the box (I'm getting there slowly). I did 12 kg for KB swings, knee raise, 15 kg push press and 4 kg wall balls. I very rarely Rxd a workout ... but I'll get there eventually ... baby steps :-)