Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Days Off

I made the decision to take today off any training.  There were a couple of factors at play; Moo was at a sleepover so I would have had to drag Missy T along with me which I didn't really want to have to do as it's cold at 6 am and the other factor was that this was the workout:
For Time:
-
30 HSPU
40 Pull Ups
50 Kettbell Swings 24kg
60 Sit Ups
70 Burpees
-
Then…
20min - Mobility
 
Now, don't get me wrong, that workout looks awesome and I would dearly love to try it but I need to look after myself.  I have been sick on and off for the last month and as said in my post the other day, maybe my body is telling me something.  I need some rest to allow my body to fight this bug.  I'm already exhausted from being up most of the night coughing up a lung and then I expect to train on top of that.  No wonder I'm not getting better.  While I have been trying to taking it a bit easier in the WODs I don't believe I could say any version of the above workout would be cruisy so I thought it best to take today off.
 
As it's school holidays, I have been starting later which allows me to spend some time with the kids and not have to worry about vacation care.  I was fortunate enough to be able to sleep in this morning and I felt great, it's just what I needed.  I wish I could switch my brain off because I started thinking about how I have been going over the last few months.  I have had injury, tightness and illness.  I feel as though I am taking steps backwards.  I know that often you get the best progress in the first year of starting CrossFit and I have noticed that my PRs have dried up and in some cases I'm lifting lighter.
 
I have been wondering if it's nutrition, technique or just the fact that as an over 40 year old it is that little bit harder to build strength and muscle.  I also wonder if it's because I lose confidence easily.  I guess there are a few things that are in my control; I have been trying to increase my calories so I can gain some weight and I try to take everything my coaches tell me so I can try to improve my technique.  I have to work on my mindset and be more positive going into my training (instead of thinking, "Oh crap, that's heavy!" I need to think, "I can do this!")

No comments: