Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Things That Make You Go Hmmmmm

I'm not sure if it's kismet but I find it intriguing when I get a spate of blogs in my newsfeed regarding a particular subject that is pertaining to my situation at the time.  Today has been one of those days.  Lately, I have been struggling with my sleep due to coughing up a lung for most of the night.  I'm run down and, well, basically exhausted but I have only taken 1 day off work (because I can't be bothered waiting around a doctor's surgery to get a medical certificate) and a few days off training.  I have stepped it back a notch but I'm finding that I feel pretty good once I'm in the gym (and crap the other 23 hours in the day).  This blog was emailed to me this morning from Sean Flanagan Health & Nutrition Coaching:

One Common (But Often Ignored) Sign You Are Over-Exercising

Whenever I see someone with an exercise schedule that is very busy (5-6 workouts per week for example), I always like to probe into what happens when they DON’T exercise. The answer is usually that they feel like crap. No energy and just generally feel poor. So in their minds, they are using exercise to remedy this situation.
The problem is that being exhausted is a sign that they are depleted – their exercise demands have exceeded the nourishment from their sleep and nutrition. So in this state, using exercise to get more energy is a means of getting the body to run on stress hormones like we’ve discussed previously.
Your body was relaxing because it needed it…. and then BAM! You add even MORE stress. Like a cup of coffee after a sleepless night, hardly the most beneficial scenario in the long term.
It’s normal and healthy to feel good and get an energy boost from exercise. The problem is creating driving yourself into a state where you NEED the exercise to feel NORMAL.
So if you find yourself getting to a state where you only have energy when you’re exercising, it’s probably time to embrace that low energy state more. Let your body mellow out and recover. Back off to a more reasonable exercise load (such as 2-4 sessions per week and maybe less intensity than you were doing previously) and start putting in more sleep in your newly freed up schedule.
Remember, if your goal is to have a healthy metabolism, it is absolutely CRITICAL to modulate stress – including exercise stress. Learn when to step back, sleep more, and perhaps increase your calories.

I then saw another blog regarding the benefit of sleep on performance.  I think someone is trying to tell me something!

No comments: