Pages

Friday, June 07, 2013

Ugly Pull Ups and A Jardan Special

Last night's WOD was a quick one. 

3 Rounds For Time:
-
5 Power Snatchs 35kg/20kg
10 OverHead Squat 35kg/20kg
15 Pull Ups
 
It had a 10 minute cut-off but the goal with these is to get it done around the 5 minute mark.  As I have said before I find the OHS tough but I'm working on them and as a result getting stronger but still only use the 10 kg bar.  As tough as it is to swallow my pride, it is important for me to keep the weight low and get good depth in my squat.
 
I decided, again, to use the orange band for my pull ups.  I was strong in my warm up and felt fairly confident I could get through it okay.  How I was wrong!  The snatch and squats were okay but they fried my back and arms and while my first set of pull ups were pretty strong, my following sets weren't 1 set of 15 but rather 15 sets of 1.  By the end I was performing the ugliest pull ups of all time, doing the running man mid air in an attempt to get my chin over that bar.  It is amazing how far you can stretch your neck when you need to!  I completed the workout in 9:31 so at least I finished it under the cut off but it wasn't ideal and proof that correct scaling is so important.  I find it so hard as I am strong in my warm up and the start of the workout but when I fatigue it happens quick and hard ... I go from being strong to barely getting the movement within a couple of reps.  The positive for me is that I put my game face on and pushed through despite having several failed attempts and no reps.  To be honest, if it wasn't for my workout buddies and coaches I'm not sure if I would have kept going.  My back and forearms felt like they were going to explode after I was done ... of course that meant I had to take a back photo when I got home ;-)
 
 
Today I had a PT session with Jardan.  She often asks me if there is anything specific I want to work on but I'm usually happy with a Jardan Specials.  I always get a bit nervous when she says she has a fun one for me although I'm not sure if I would use the word fun.  Today's "fun" was 10 rounds of sled pulls and 10 dumbbell snatches.
 
It doesn't look like much but it really got me.  I have a mental thing with 10 rounds and will panic at round 3 as I don't think I can get through it but once I get to round 6 I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and try to finish as strong as my body allows (again with my multiple of 3's).  It was a fun session even though I had to go to work afterwards and proceeded to sit and stare into space for about 10 minutes in my office before I could communicate with anyone (or move for that matter!)  Love it!

5 comments:

Charlotte Orr said...

Wow Michelle! I'm doing weights vicariously through you at the moment, as I'm still not confident doing much with my lower back. Keep up the good work!

Charlotte Orr said...

Keep up the good work Michelle!

Pip said...

Fantastic Michelle!

I can't do any of those pullups! At all. The only ones I can do are the jumping ones with a high box, low bar, (little jump).

At our Crossfit, those who wanted to got measured, weighed, had a benchmark WOD for a 10 week Paleo challenge. And I chose the easiest Paleo option as I don't fancy giving up starches, wholegrain bread, oats and dairy, (but I will cut back)!

You look so fit and amazing, are an inspiration!

Unknown said...

Lovely back, Michelle!

I understand the feeling of doing anything I can to get up to chin-ups. The guys tell me that it is just my imagination that all that pretend air running helps me at all. Still, I do what I must do. :D

:-) Marion

Unknown said...

Thanks Ladies :-)