Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

Baby Steps

Last night was another squat snatch and overhead squat night.  I have had a bad week at work (mainly due to my own bad attitude ... I've had a bad case of cranky pants) and didn't feel up to struggling through a workout doing a movement that I suck at but I showed up purely because it's my routine to go to the box while the girls are at dancing.

I used the lightest bar possible (10 kg) and, even though it was a strength day, I put no pressure on myself to add any weight ... I just wanted to get the movement right.  Last week I couldn't do the squat snatch at all with the 10 kg bar, the whole movement of doing the snatch and then going into an overhead squat puts me off balance.  I can do a power snatch and I can do an overhead squat but couldn't link the two together.  Kara, our coach last night, suggested I do a heaving snatch balance which is where you start with the bar on your back as you do for a back squat and then move into an overhead squat from there.  I think this helped a little but what really helped me was ensuring my feet were that bit wider when I went into the squat.  This helped me get better balance so I didn't feel like I was tipping forward.  I was really pleased with the progress that I made as I went from not being able to perform the squat snatch at all to be able to do it at a lower weight.

We then had to do 100 overhead squats and each time we dropped the bar we had to do 10 burpees.  I didn't feel confident at all doing these with the 10 kg bar I opted for using the broomstick facing the wall.  It helped me get the technique down pat and I managed to get 100 done unbroken.

Overall it was a good day in the gym and I was pretty glad I went.

2 comments:

Pip said...

Good work Michelle! I have not got the hang of Crossfit 'snatches' at all!

Oh yeah, a plastic broomstick, that we use for shoulder stretches was what I used for the overhead squats! Less than 1kg for me! Our lightest bar is the 8kg.....and I couldn't do that after lots of reps and squats with other exercises in the WOD!

Magda said...

Those times are gold aren't they Michelle? Nothing better than achieving something significant when you feel down and unmotivated. It can change the tone of the rest of the day.

:-) M