Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

Finding Your Fitness

I have had a great weekend just relaxing watching the CrossFit Games online (I can see I'll be at my monthly limit very soon!) and have drawn so much inspiration from the athletes.  I have loved watching the Masters in particular and my daughters were surprised when I said one of the athletes is the same age as their Grandma ... this woman had a hip replacement and still made the games to compete in her age division.  I hope I'm still kicking butt in my workouts when I'm nearly 70!  I figure I'm already doing better than a lot of 40+ women.
From the first WOD of the CFG Throwdown
 
With the Games on there seems to be quite a buzz on social media regarding Crossfit.  The common opinion is as follows:

It seems like all the haters have come out of the woodwork to diss a sport that they have only seen on TV.  Unfortunately, it goes both ways and I had (please note that I have written 'had') liked a FB page where people constantly bagged those who did Zumba.
 I don't mind a bit of friendly sledging.  My brother and a good mate both bike ride and, yes, I pay them out for stopping at the coffee shop on the way home and for wearing lycra.  At the same time I'm in awe of their riding and the distances they go.  My mate also does mountain bike riding which would terrify me.

My hubby doesn't get my addiction to Crossfit but he plays a few different sports.  He loves competition and having an outcome.  His sports of choice are: cricket, touch footy and golf.  My bike riding mate's wife is a bit the same as my husband and she regularly plays squash and touch football.

I also have many friends who love to run or participate in triathlons or join in group fitness sessions.

I guess my point is that it doesn't matter what you do as long as you move.  There is no right or wrong way to get fit ... you need to find your fitness.

1 comment:

Magda said...

So true. When I was an aerobics instructor and then a PT people would ask me all the time "what is the best exercise?" Simple. The one you enjoy doing (if it gets you doing it.)

M