Pages

Monday, July 08, 2013

Yikes!

This was today's WOD:

CrossFit Regionals 2013
Event 4
-
For Time:
-
100 Wall Balls 10kg/6kg
100 Chest 2 Bar Pull Ups
100 Pistols (alternating)
100 D/B Snatches
 
Of course my mind went to the Open workout where we had to do 150 wall balls in 12 minutes and I got a grand total of 57 (granted it was with a 7 kg med ball), needless to say I wasn't confident with this WOD at all and decided to scale the hell out of it.  My scaling was as follows:
  • Wall balls - 4 kg, 9 foot mark
  • Pull ups - green band
  • Pistols - holding onto the pole for balance.
  • DB snatches - 10 kg
  • 50 reps of each exercise.
My theory was that a lot of the Regional competitors struggled to get the workout done in 25 minutes (many went over) so what hope did I have in even getting close to that.  I got my wall balls done fairly quickly (for me) and was pleased with the sets I strung together.  The pull ups were always going to be tough but I chipped away at those and moved onto the pistols and snatches.  I had to break a lot but still got it done in 14:09.  I seemed to be consistent with my sets and tried to break every 10 for the first 20 - 30 and then every 5.
 
In hindsight, I over-scaled.  I should have done 75 reps to allow me to finish at around the 20 - 25 minute mark ... I know that for next time.

Just to add.  Being the nerd that I am I calculated out that if I were to do the 75 reps I could have gotten the workout completed in 21:13.  This, of course, is assuming that I keep the same pace during those extra 100 reps.


2 comments:

Pip said...

Top effort Michelle! You are very inspiring! Those wall balls are a killer hey, along with most of the rest of it! We did 'Barbara'....last night! That was a 30 min time cap to complete:
*20 sumo deadlift squat things,(not yet sure of the proper name, just 15kg as still not fully sure of correct technique off pat!
*20 pull ups, (I did jumping, but not from the easiest bar or box!)
*30 push ups, (knees for me)
*40 sit ups
*50 air-squats, (I scaled those to 40)
* Repeat this 3 times, compulsory 2 min rest between.....

It killed, I made it to 12 air-squats on the last set, couldn't complete it before the buzzer! Last set of jumping pullups from the next level totally killed. Sit ups, the easiest bit for me!

I enjoy reading of your efforts!

Unknown said...

I think Barbara was one of my first workouts ... she's a biarch (just like all the other girls!)