Pages

Sunday, July 07, 2013

Some Days You Just Gotta Laugh

I was sitting out on the front verandah yesterday having a post workout cuppa with Mal when he noticed I had black spots on my nose.  When he went to wipe it off I told him it's because I forget to lift my head when I do push ups so I face plant the black rubber.  I then went into the various bumps and scrapes I have accumulated from my daily workouts.  I have a bruise on my knuckles from failing at my double unders, somehow when I step on the rope it flicks back onto my hand ... it takes real talent to do that.  I have bruises on my knees from walking lunges and I think my cleans and snatches.  I have had scrapes and bruises under my chin from not tucking my chin before I perform my jerk.  My hands ... well I won't go into my hands.  I have scars on my tailbone from my sit ups (luckily no-one gets to see that).  There is nothing worse than turning around in the shower after a sit up day to realise you have a bad case of 'butterfly butt'.  Yeowch!!!

I then started telling him about yesterday's workout where we had to do toes to bar.  I was able to do this exercise during the open workouts but haven't done them again since and when I attempted them yesterday I could only get one out.  I seem to have lost my ability to do them.  I was saying to Mal how I wish I had time to practice these movements so when they come up in the workout I am able to do them and how work gets in the way of the stuff I want to do. I said how I reckon I would be a much better crossfitter if I didn't have to work.  He looked at my black nose that I got from forgetting to lift my head when I do push ups, my bruised knuckles because I occasionally forget to jump during double unders, my bruised chin from forgetting to get my head out of the way when I lift and burst into laughter and I did too ... I don't think I should quit my job to be a full time athlete soon.  LOL!

4 comments:

Kek said...

I have a running series of bruises and grazes on my legs from my bike escapades - even if I manage not to fall off, I'm pretty good at getting smacked in the shin, calf or ankle with a pedal.

As for weight training...I've smacked myself in the back of the skull with a dumbbell, hit my head on barbells and plates in the squat rack, dropped kettlebells on my toes and even managed to split open a thumb knuckle by getting a little too vigorous with lateral raises while someone next to me was doing the same thing.

As long as we're still conscious, a few bumps and scrapes aren't important, right? ;)

Unknown said...

I'm waiting for the day I knock myself out. LOL!

Unknown said...

I was trying to explain all of the laughing at ourselves, as weightlifters, to somebody who's never been among the guys. Well, one of the laughable questions I posed was: Should I do XXX amount of more exercise, when I'm already dying over the stuff I'm doing--or lose some gut to improve for chin-ups. I'm still pulling down 175 lbs 3 times, and it's not improving. I could lose 5 or more pounds around the gut to "lighten the load"! :D

Unknown said...

:D