Pages

Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Baby Steps

As I have said recently I have been trying to teach myself how to do a headstand with the ultimate goal of feeling comfortable enough with being upside down to then progress to handstands.  My progress has been quite slow as I continue to battle with my fears and that continuing voice in my head that comes up with scenarios of how I can hurt myself.

Last week I got Mal to help me out as I could get myself into a position where my knees were on my triceps but lacked the core strength to lift my legs.  He could see where I was going wrong and gave me some pointers on how to improve.  Although I felt like I was vertical I actually was on an angle so of course it was difficult for me to raise me legs.  It was, however, hard for me to feel confident enough to get my body into a more upright position and as I tend to do I walked away from it for a couple of days until I was ready to try again.

Last night I decided to try again against the wall and after a few attempts I managed to get my feet up.  The first time was only for a few seconds as I had a bit of a freak out when I realised what I did and then I progressively increased my time and improved my position with my legs and feet more vertical each time.  I was so excited!  I know that I have a way to go until I get into a handstand and to be able to do handstand push ups but I feel like I made a step in the right direction.

No comments: