Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I find Fitness Forums a great place to ‘meet’ like-minded people plus get some fantastic advice. As someone who has very few friends that are committed to health and fitness, forums and blogs are my life-line. Isn’t weird that I get so frustrated with them? I’m not sure what it is. Is it because I have not had to lose massive amounts of weight and therefore feel like my measly goal of maintenance is trivial? Or is it because I’m not ‘surviving’ on 1200 calories a day, training for hours at a time and enjoying my Friday arv drinks and nibblies without any guilt that I’m not committed? Maybe it’s because I haven’t cleaned out my cupboards of all the ‘bad’ food because I don’t want my children to get on the dieting rollercoaster and enjoy the occasional treat and therefore I’m a bad parent who is raising girls who will be overweight and unhappy? I feel like screaming that skinny does not equal happiness. I get frustrated with the mindset that 12 weeks is going to be tough but it's a short time in the scheme of things and everything will be wonderful afterwards, from experience (and I know we have all been there) it’s the after that is hardest of all.

3 comments:

Cherub said...

I know exactly what you mean.

And, thanks for you comment on my blog, I did read your earlier post, but to be honest, I just didn't know what to say. My girls are a couple of years younger than yours and I admit, it scares me, even with everything I know, it scares me.

Magda said...

Michelle,

I'm nodding my head as I read this post. I'm in a very similar position (although I did need to lose 17kgs to compete in 2007). The last 12 week prpgram that I did was my absolute last. In week 11 I emailed my trainer and said "I refuse to do the diet thing any longer. Its doing my head in and its doing more bad than good" Yep maintenance is WAY harder than following a retsricted eating plan to get weight off.

Like you I also enjoy my beer o'clock with my husband on a Friday after work. We've earned it and its something we enjoy doing together. I NEVER want to give that up again and nobody will tell me that I have to.

And yep I have sweeet and savoury treats in my cupboards too for my 7 year old son to enjoy. He has no weight problems and why shouldnt he enjoy a samll treat if his mian diet is based on healthy foods. This does not make us bad parents.

You are questioning whether to compete again or not. i've done that too for 2 years and finally my heart is sending a message loud and clear "No I dont want to do it". Go within and listen and your message will be clear too.

Magda

Andrea said...

No Michelle you aren't crazy and you shouldn't beat up on yourself. I feel exactly the same way about forums and thats why I tend to stay away from participating. The thing is that your goal is your goal - it doesn't need to compare to anyone elses. Another thing to remember is that you have been on this journey before and your headspace is very different to some of the people doing the 12WBTC. I know exactly how you feel.