Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Goal Setting


I've been thinking about where I'm going post 12wbt.  I know I need to move away from 'appearance' type goals but I'm wondering if I need to have a BHAG.  A lady who did very well in the 12wbt (and I predict will be the Lean and Strong winner) had a fabulous goal of Olympic Weightlifting and has competed recently.  She broke her thumb at the start of the round but was so focused on her goal that it didn't stop her training.  Inspiring stuff.  Needless to say, she has a rockin' body but her goals were not about that but simply a consequence of her training.  My problem has been that apart from competing in BB and doing the 12 week challenges, I haven't had really big goals.  I've been thinking a lot about all this (maybe a bit too much) and am wondering if it's because I have never been good at sports that I don't believe in myself enough to set myself performance goals.  Running has never appealed to me so I don't have any desire to do marathons, triathlons etc.  Do I even need to set goals?  Is it enough to simply want to keep fit or will not having a big goal mean that I will slip back into complacency?

2 comments:

Magda said...

That's a tough one Michelle and one I totally get. I've often had goals only to find they meant very little to me and didn't really motivate me. However I find myself contemplating a BHAG right now. Sit with it for a while and see what inspires you, excites you or interests you. You can always try something out but reassess if it doesn't suit you. Remember, it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind.

Unknown said...

Thank Magda, it's nice to know other people are in the same boat. I think I'm going to sit and ponder on it for bit.

Cheers

Mich