Pages

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

The Importance of Scaling and Other Random Crap

I have been getting frustrated with a few things recently.  I have been going to Crossfit for a little while now and lately I feel like I am going nowhere fast.  We have had a couple of intense WODs the last couple of weeks and I have had to think about my scaling options.  My goal at the moment is to get to the point where I'm using one of the bands for my pullups, my current scaling is jumping pullups.  The difficult part while I know I can push out a few sets of strict pullups I have to swallow my ego and scale right back when I'm doing the amount of reps required in the WODs.  Before each session, Sean, the trainer, goes through the scaling.  Last week I indicated that I would like to try the band at some point, to which he said that he,too, would love that but now is not the time.  He wanted me to get the best out of my workout and go for the allotted time, not crash and burn after a couple of rounds.  It was something that I had to consider again last night when we did "Cindy".  It didn't look like much on paper; 5 reps of pull ups, 10 reps of push ups, 15 reps of squats AMRAP in 20 minutes.  The scaling for me was jumping pull ups, knee push ups and I set myself the target of 15 minutes.  I got to just over 12 rounds in that time with the toughest part being the pushups.  I was trembling when I finished and know that I pushed as hard as I could.  I'm thankful that Sean was honest with me and scaled me back as I doubt I would have made it or would have injured myself.  When you think about it, all up I did 62 pull ups.  I guess I find it difficult as I'm not sure if I'm going often enough to make any decent improvement but, to be honest, I'm not sure if I could back up today with another intense workout like that anyway.

I have also been getting a little cranky with the fact that my pants seem to be getting a little tighter and I have a pudgy tummy hanging over my tights.  It seems as though I have gained some weight since finishing the 12wbt.  I wonder if I'm in a 'transition' period since completing the challenge.  I don't want to go back to the constant intensity of the 12wbt to maintain my weight because I ended the program exhausted and, well, broken both physically and mentally.  I'm struggling with that little bubble of panic where I fear the weight will start to pile on but, on the other hand, I want to have the faith that by simplifying my workouts my body will figure out where it's supposed to be.

2 comments:

Charlotte Orr said...

Hi Michelle, I understand what you're going through. It's such a juggling game, isn't it?

Unknown said...

Yes it is Charlotte. I'm hoping I can figure out that balance.