Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Back In The Box

I have done very little exercise over the last couple of weeks - partly due to my shoulder and partly due to it being concert week and we all know that life comes to a standstill during dance concert week.  I am supposed to have a month off lifting and was ecstatic when I read yesterday's WOD:

For Time
Run 200m
25 Push Ups
50 double unders
Run 400m
50 Burpees
50 double unders
Run 400m
25 Push Ups
50 double unders
Run 200m
 
Here was one that I could modify quite easily and decided on rack push ups and 'Burps' instead of 'Burpees' (no push up).  I love a good metabolic conditioning workout even though I never think that at the time.  My second run was tough and again I battled with that inner voice that told me to give up and then was amused when I found something in the tank in the last run of the WOD and really picked up the pace.
 
Despite practicing most days I still don't have my double unders and instead went with 25 attempts as the goal was to get under 20 minutes and if I tried to get 50 I think I would be there all day.  We then had some time at the end to do some mobility work which after sitting in uncomfortable chairs at the dance concert my body thanked me for the extra stretching.
 
Although I loved last night's workout, I have to admit that I have gotten quite down on myself as a result of my inability to 'get' certain movements.  There is part of me that wonders why I love going when I'm not very good at it.  Somedays it would be easier to slip back into what I know and am comfortable with but the stubborn part of me is determined to not give in.  It may take me longer than everyone else to master a movement but I'm going to get there ... eventually.

2 comments:

Magda said...

Mich, I admire your determination and am amused by the addictiveness of crossfit. It seems to be a clear case of love it or hate it with no in between.

Unknown said...

It is slightly addictive ... I just wish I was better at it :)