Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Deadlift Day

As the kids are on school holidays I have committed myself to get to the gym everyday this week.  I often miss certain important workouts as normally I don't go everyday and as a result in the 7 or 8 months I have been going to CrossFit I have never done a deadlift WOD.   I love deadlifts, they are my favourite exercise so I was super-keen to go today.

I'd had a shocker sleep last night and have a crick in my neck that has been bugging me (I really need to book in for a massage).  You know it's bad when you have to have painkillers and foam roll at 2 am.  In hindsight, I shouldn't have gone to the gym this morning but I kept thinking that it was deadlift day and I have been itching to get to a deadlift day for ages.

It was great to have the coaches and my partner keep an eye on my form during the workout.  It seems that I have a couple little habits like raising my butt just before I lift and therefore putting more pressure on my back.  I found it hard to iron out these little things that I most probably have been doing for years but the good thing is that I can learn from it and next time deadlifts come up I have the verbal cues that help me to maintain good form even when the coaches aren't there.  It always amuses me when I do a lift at home I have the coaches voices in my head playing the cues of 'knees out', 'set your back' etc

Something that I learnt from Emazon experience is to not allow my conditioned mind to flood my thoughts.  There was a small part of me that thought my form was pretty good so to have someone say that there were some issues my initial thought was, "damn, yet another exercise that I have to practice/I'm not good at."  It's silly where my head goes sometimes but I blocked those thoughts and appreciated the feedback I got as it will make me stronger without potentially hurting myself.

After our strength sessions we tend to have a little finisher and today's was:

For Time:
21 – 18- 15 – 12 – 9 – 6 – 3
Push Ups
Med Ball Cleans
 
I chose a 4 kg ball but in hindsight I could have gone to the 6 kg.  I tend to go lighter when I haven't done an exercise before.  My scaling for pushups was a bench which is the scaling between knee and full pushups.  After a discussion with the coaches it was decided that I modify my reps as well and started at 18.  I quite enjoyed this one, it was a challenge but I never felt like I couldn't get through it and completed it in just over 7 mins.

2 comments:

Magda said...

Hahaha, every time I train it feels like there's 2 of us there .. me and my mind. I SO get what you're saying about our perceptions of ourselves.

:-) M

Unknown said...

LOL Magda! I was wondering the other day if anyone else has internal conversations while they are exercising.