Pages

Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Goats

GOAT: A movement or lift that you just plain suck at. Something you dread coming up in a workout because you either suck at it, hate it or both. Common goats include double unders, muscle ups, running and handstand push ups. We all should be working on our goats, constantly. taken from http://crossfitelysium.com

I have lots of goats.  I recently read in a blog somewhere that the writer had so many goats that they had a herd of them.  Yep, that's me!  In the past, I avoided a few workouts as they had exercises that I hated.  I skipped ones with box jumps and one's that had a lot of running because I didn't want to suck.  Yesterday's workout was one of those.  Every element was my goat ...

Partner Wod to Kick off the new Year
In Partners
For Time:
2000m Row (total) (Groan!)
13 Burpee Box Jumps (Each) (Burpees + box jumps! Really??)
200 Double Unders (total) (Sigh!)
13 Wall Balls 10kg/6kg (Each) (Ewww!)
200 Double Unders (total) (Again?)
13 Burpee Box Jumps 24″/20″ (Each) (Honestly, who would put these 2 together?)
2000m Run (total) (*$#@!)
 
I tried to talk myself out of going.  I had planned on going to the morning session but suddenly my mountain of washing had to be folded and then Missy T got sick.  My parent's were coming over in the evening for dinner so I could have used that as a reason to not go but, no, off I went.

It was as tough as it looked and I was lucky to be partnered with an energiser bunny who refused to let me walk when I wanted.  She pushed me on and I was pleased with the fact that I moved up to 4 kg wall balls, I got a few double unders in a row and I did full burpees rather than knee burpees and chose to jump onto a plate instead of doing step ups.  I'm slowly chipping away at my goats and am seeing some progress and at the end of the day that's what it's all about.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never heard of the term "goat." But it is sort of a funny term, given that goats are very lively effortless creatures when they run and leap, at least from my experience with chasing after one during a teenage babysitting incident.

:-) Marion

Unknown said...

I don't get why it's called a goat either ... goats seem quite capable.

Just had a look on the net (thank god for google). It's based around the shortening of scapegoat. They are movements that hold us back and are therefore 'scapegoats'.