Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Moving On

Last night I came to a decision, it was time to remove myself from a FB page to which I belong.  There was a part of me that wanted to make a difference.  I wanted to show people life outside the program where you are calorie aware but don't have to count every morsel that goes in your mouth, that macros don't really matter that much and you don't  have to beat yourself up for not looking like a fitness model.  I think I was being naive because these programs are a competitive business ... I think even moreso than a bodybuilding competition and no-one wants to hear that someone is happy even with their imperfections ... they want to look like their idols whether they are famous fitness models or previous winners.

I grew weary of the undereating and overexercising and the angst over people's legs not leaning out or not having a 6 pack.  It's well overdue but it's time to move on.

4 comments:

Magda said...

Mich that sounds like a very mature decision. I've never belonged to such a page but I get the drift of them and like you I would be over it (just a lot quicker).

With age comes wisdom and I realise more and more each day that whilst "looking good" goes a long way to helping me "feel good", at the end of the day all that must be balanced with this thing called life which I want to enjoy.

Like you, I will always have my imperfections but I haven't got the time or energy to obsess about them. Better to direct our energies to more positive pursuits.

(Sorry, I'll hop off my soap box now)

M

Unknown said...

Looking good is a large reason of why I exercise but it does require balance. Life is too short to obsess over a little extra fat on my thighs when the so-called ideal is a picture of a woman who has manipulated their food and liquid for a photo. Being on this page makes me upset as I read so much turmoil over these things. It is exhausting.

Sandra said...

Well done, Mich. Like my friend Magda says, there is no such thing as perfection in the real world. You are a beautiful looking girl and have an amazing figure, in my opinion, perfect should be a "feeling" maybe the word I'm looking for is contentment. Balance is SO important, I'd rather chase that than waste precious energy on a Group or Page that doesn't get it.
Good move x

Unknown said...

It's quite liberating to be away from it :)