Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Lesson From A 10 Year Old


I got home from my workout the other day and announced that I got a PB.  Moo held out her fist for a fist bump but Missy T left me hanging.  She refused to high 5 or fist bump.  When I said to her that if she told me that she smashed her dance routine I would be the first one there with a waiting fist.  She then replied that when she dances well she doesn't need everyone around to congratulate her, she just knows inside that she has done a great job and that is all that matters to her.

How did she get so smart?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle! This is a great story. Your daughter has such a well developed understanding of herself. It speaks so well of you as her mother. There will be many times in her adult life when there will be nobody around to give compliments, and she will need to give her own self assurances, like she explained.

However, we must share our successes. It is enough that we personally feel like we did a great job. But it also positively impacts those around of to share this. Compliments are good for the receiver, but they are even more important for the giver of the compliment. The giver of the compliment receives the most out of it.

One of the best things I've noticed about my 4 children is that they really want the best for each other. It can't get better than that.

:-) Marion

Unknown said...

I agree Marion and that's why I share my successes with my daughters ... I think it's important for them to know that they have a Mum that is strong and determined.

Missy T can be a bit of a stirrer as well. I know that she pretty proud of what I can do, she just shows it a different way (not in a fist bump/high five sort of way).

It's great that your 4 have each other's backs ... it doesn't get much better than that, does it? I hope my 2 grow to be similar :)