Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

To Scale or Not To Scale?

There seems to be a direct correlation between me getting frustrated with CrossFit and PMT so please forgive me for this whiny post.  It is quite likely that tomorrow I will wake up and be okay with everything again but in the interest of this blog being about the good, the bad and the ugly I will forge on with my rant ;-)

Recently I have been talked into a scaling option that I didn't necessarily agree with.  As I improve I am noticing this is happening with more regularity and I'm not sure if it's because the coaches aren't seeing my improvements or I'm thinking I'm better than reality but it is frustrating the crap out of me.  A few weeks ago we had a WOD that included hand stand push ups.  Now, I can't kick up into a handstand so that was not an option but I thought I may be able to do box pikes.  I was told that it would be too hard and to stick to push ups.  Personally, I don't believe that push ups will help me with handstand push ups but I'm not the expert so didn't argue the matter.  And then last night we had a 7 minute AMRAP of burpee pull ups.  I have been working on my kipping pull ups but have never tested them in a WOD.  I thought that this might be a chance to give it a burl.  I don't care about numbers ... if I only got 2 - 3 out per minute that is fine by me as I think that to get better at kipping pull ups I need to be doing kipping pull ups.  The coach talked me into scaling with a band.  Yes, I cranked out 8 rounds of 5 sets of burpees and band pull ups (+ an extra 3 burpees) but has that made me closer to my goal?  I get so confused at what is the right thing to do.  What will increase my strength; doing a scaled WOD or doing the WOD as prescribed or a harder scaling but less volume?

I put the question out there in one of my FB groups and found that they often scale mid-WOD which is something that we are advised against.  I can understand why we have that rule as a lot of people would try to do something beyond their capabilities and then crash and burn but at the same time how do you know what you are capable of if you don't give it a go?

2 comments:

Magda said...

Tough call. I'd be guided by the coaches until I was more confident of not only my ability but my judgement. Hand stand push ups PMG!!

M

Unknown said...

I tend to put my faith in my coaches but there have been a couple of times where they err on the side of caution. My PT pushes me a little harder so I might have a chat to her and see her thoughts.