Pages

Friday, February 01, 2013

Little Things

I have been filled with self doubt the last week.  CrossFit is hard, really hard and there are so many things I need to improve on.  Somedays I think it would be easier to go back to what I was doing before ... I was okay at that ... I rocked at Body Attack etc.  It seems my coordination is limited to grapevines and other aerobic moves, not olympic lifting and double unders.  Some days I'm painfully aware of my limitations.

As I have said before, I have a few issues with box jumps.  They terrify me.  When I look at the box my mind immediately sees me missing it, tripping over the front and breaking an arm/teeth/nose/face.  To try and overcome this fear I have been using plates.  When I did some work with Jardan we tried a 25 kg plate and 15 kg stacked on top of each other and I just couldn't get it.  My feet wouldn't jump at the same time so I was skipping onto the plates.  I'm determined to get this as I don't want to do step ups anymore in a WOD.  To get myself used to jumping with 2 feet I have only been using the 25 kg plate and even then when I started I really had to focus on jumping not skipping.  Fast forward a few weeks and I jumped onto the 25 and 15 kg stack last night ... with 2 feet ... at the same time!!!  It seems so trivial when I see other people there jumping onto 20 or 24" boxes but I was so excited.  So much so I had to PM Jardan to let her know.  I'm so lame!

It seems like our head coach has my number though.  We had a choice last night of a run or a row.  I hate running but I dislike rowing even more so put my hand up to run.  He turned to me and asked why I wanted to run and then put me on the rower.  Nothing like being forced out of my comfort zone!

There are times though when he suggests I use an easier option when I want to go harder and last night he suggested I use a green band instead of purple (purple is a harder option) for pull ups.  I stuck to my guns and used the purple band ... it was kind of nice to prove that I could do it.  And I did full burpees instead of knee burpees.

It's these little things that keep me going.  The little improvements that keep me wanting more.  It always seems like when I'm just about to give up something happens that makes me realise I don't suck as bad as what I think I do.

4 comments:

Maryanne said...

CONGRATS on the jumps! I know from reading your posts that that is a HUGE achievement! THink of this gain when the going gets tough! :-)

Magda said...

How does that saying go ... whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

BTW box jumps terrify me too (the strength of my legs is NOT commensurate with their size)

M

Charlotte Orr said...

Keep up the good work Michelle!

Unknown said...

Thanks Ladies :)