Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sucking Wind Take 2

Okay, this may be a bit of an exaggeration
Yesterday I did the workout 'Sucking Wind' for the second time.  The first time I did it was in December so it was still pretty fresh in my mind.  I have posted it here before but this is what it looks like:

“Sucking Wind”
For time:
30 Burpees
40 Wall Balls
400m Run
50 Double Unders
500m Row
*Exercises can be done in any order.
Athlete must complete full number before
moving to the next exercise.

I have to admit that I wasn't really looking forward to this workout.  I'm usually pumped for benchmark workouts but the last couple of days I have been dragging my feet to the box but I always get into the workout once I'm there.

The thing I love about benchmarks is it gives me a chance to gauge how I'm improving whether it be a faster time or higher weight.  That didn't happen yesterday ... my time was worse.  It felt like a slight kick in the guts ... I'm not supposed to be going backwards.  I have chalked it up to a bad day and not enough food the night before (Friday night nibbles do not make for a good training session the next day).  I have gotten some positives out of the workout:
  • I increased my wall balls to 4 kg.  We have 2 lines on the wall and I did the 4 kg with the lower mark whereas I had been doing the 3 kg at the higher mark.  After talking to one of the coaches this would be much of a muchness with regard to strength and power but it looks better on the scoreboard.  Wall balls is what slows me down and I recognise what I need to do to improve my time; I have this habit of squatting, throwing, catching, resetting the ball and then going into the next squat.  I should be catching the ball as I'm going into my next squat.
  • Last time I didn't get any double unders, this time I got several.  I still need to work on these as I can't do them unbroken.  I need to work on my vertical jumping as I tend to lift my legs when I skip and then lose the rhythm.
  • I kept running in the run leg.  Last time I walked some parts.  That was a big thumbs up for me.
So despite some disappointments there were a few positives that came out of it and if I continue to work on a couple of things the next time I do it I will smash it.

No comments: