Pages

Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Today I Was Broken

I haven't been sleeping well lately.  I think it's a mix of a few things but as a result I'm tired.  I was grateful this morning when I got a message from Jardan that we have to reschedule our PT session today as she had injured herself.  (Obviously I felt bad for her injury, but secretly I was thinking "thank goodness!")  I tossed up whether to still go to the gym or spend the time at home.  Stupidly I decided to hit the gym.

Today's WOD was:

“Sean”
10 rounds for time of:
11 Chest to bar pull-ups
75 pound Front squat, 22 reps
 
Hero workouts are different to the girls.  The girls are tough for a relatively short period of time whereas the hero workouts are longer and in some ways are more of a battle to get through.  Today I thought, for sure, they would scale the rounds.  I would be able to do an easier option.  The weight and pull-ups were scaled but we had to do full rounds.  This was when doubt set in.  110 pull ups and 220 squats!  You have to be kidding me!  My pre-workout coffee hadn't kicked in, it just made me feel jittery.  I don't normally have coffee but today I felt like I needed it just to get through the WOD ... I won't be doing that again!
 
Third round in and I was struggling.  How the hell was I going to do 10?  I was already breaking my pullups into 5, 3 and 3 and the front squats were broken into 2.  Heading into my 5th round of front squats I broke, I started crying, I couldn't help it.  Luckily the wheels on my barbell hid my face so I don't think anyone saw or at least if they did they didn't acknowledge it.  I kept going and as I headed into the 7th round I could see the end.  Unfortunately, Sean no-repped a few of my pullups toward the end.  My last rep of pullups took me 3 attempts to touch my chest to the bar.  It is mentally tough to be no-repped although I understand that it will ultimately make me a better athlete.  I guess I'm really proud of the fact that despite wanting to give up halfway through the WOD I kept going and completed it but I should have listened to my body and had today off training.  I guess hindsight is 20/20 vision.

No comments: