Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

How Crossfit Has Changed Me

Today I entered into an online discussion regarding body shape.  I won't go into the guts of the discussion but it made me realise that I have come a long way since starting CrossFit last year with regard to body image.  I spent a large part of my 20s and 30s hating my body, I would look in the mirror and be disgusted at the sight of my saddlebags and my big booty.  I'm classic pear shape and I felt like that was a flaw that I needed to fix.  Even when competing I was still bottom heavy ... I couldn't escape my genetics no matter what I did.

Over the last year I have realised it doesn't matter, actions matter.  CrossFit has made me realise my potential and that has nothing to do with what I look like.  I am learning to love my body and its shape.  I love the fact that what I thought was a flawed body can lift and run and jump (not very high but it can do it).  My body is perfect.

5 comments:

Pip said...

Love that post Michelle, - well done!!!

I'm excited as I've been accepted for a spot in Crossfit 'Elements' classes, - (the beginner classes where we learn the basic moves in my nearest town). There are 4 of these classes, - 2 per week, starting next week.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

My boofy finger missed the publish button on my comments moderation page and accidentally clicked on the delete button.

"Hi Michelle! I feel that very same way--almost exactly as you put it. When I started at the gym, I didn't really like my broad shoulders and big bones in general. But, boy, can those broad bones hold muscle! I started loving my broad shoulders when I could bench press so well! And do so many of the exercises in the gym well.

When I read what you're doing in the gym, well, I do a bunch of that same stuff, a little more or a little less successful at those exercises than you depending on the exercise. But we both exercise very well. I guess I can really say that we both have "athletic" figures, even though I've never seen a woman with as broad of shoulders in a fitness magazine as having an athletic figure. We are so lucky that we love ourselves, but really, it was more about hard work at the gym that we ended up really loving.

:-) Marion "

Unknown said...

I hope you get as much out of CF as I have Pip!

That's a thing I have noticed at CF Marion, there are people of all different shapes and sizes and they are all fabulously athletic. Each person has their strengths and weaknesses but they are all amazing.

Magda said...

Yay!!!