Pages

Monday, April 08, 2013

Winning!

Today's workout was Annie.

Annie
For Time:
50, 40, 30, 20, 10 Reps of
Double Unders
Sit Ups
then…
Weighted Pull Ups
5 – 5 – 3 – 3 – 3 – 2 – 2 – 2 – 2
or
Kipping Pull Up Practice
 
Have I mentioned recently how much I dislike double unders?  It was slow going this morning and I finished well after everyone else with a time of 12 minutes plus my back didn't really like the sit ups on the ab mat.  On the plus side, I'm stringing a few double unders together which is way better than a couple of months ago when I had to put a skip in between each attempt.  Like all benchmark workouts, I will be interested to see how much I improve the next time I do it.
 
I then moved to pull up practice.  I went into today's workout thinking about doing the kipping practice because I just can't get the kip movement but I changed my mind and decided to have a go at weighted pull ups.  Weighted pull ups have been on my 'to do' list for ages but, like everything, I don't have an awful lot of time to work on it and I wasn't overly confident as we haven't done a lot of strict pull ups and I often use a band in a WOD.  I did my sets of 5 without weight and then added a 1.25 kg for a couple of sets and then 2.5 and 3.75 kg.  I finished my workout with a couple of pull ups at 5 kg!!!  I find it bizarre that I struggle with my strength for my shoulder presses (and my back doesn't like them) but I can pull my own body weight and then some over a bar.  Weird.

4 comments:

Magda said...

Winning indeed!

Magda said...

And just on 'increasing my calories', I always notice that if my meals are pretty lean and light on my strength suffers BIG TIME but after a feast .... well, LOOK OUT. LOL. But I'm the typical woman who'd be nervous about increasing calories. Old habits die hard, I guess.

Unknown said...

It is a mind game having to deliberately increase calories.

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle! Awesome for pullups. As you probably know, I'm working back up to chin ups. Unlike you, I battle this 10 pounds of body weight that is probably holding me back. But it's a great project that I love to do. :D

:-) Marion