Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

Goals and Other Stuff

We were give a task at Crossfit this week.  It was to set some goals and to work towards them.  I already have some in the pipeline but I tend to lose focus and I have to admit I'm taking a long time to achieve them.  I have picked 5 but, honestly, I have many of them and I find I goal set everytime I walk into the box whether it be to lift a certain weight, or try and improve on a time or to simply not stop running.  Here is what I have come up with:

I don't think there is anything terribly surprising there.  I could add so many more but I don't want to overwhelm myself.  So here's the run down:

  • Box jumps - my old nemesis.  I would be happy to jump on any box ... I'm not fussy.  I'll crack open a bottle of bubbly the day I jump with 2 feet simultaneously onto the 12" box.
  • 5 kipping pullups - I have to admit that I haven't been practising these at all and when I went to have a go at these last week I just couldn't get the kipping motion at all, I always go into strict.  I find it hard to unlearn things.
  • Handstands - I have never, ever been able to do a handstand.  I can't seem to kick up into it.  Maybe it's part of that whole explosive movement thing that I seem to struggle with.  I've started working on this at home by doing wall walks and also headstands but am not consistent enough.
  • 10 unbroken double unders.  Yep, I'm still a bit of a numpty at these.
  • 500 m row in less than 2 minutes.  I'm hovering around the 2 min mark but always die in the arse at around 300 - 400 m.
I haven't set time limits to these as I'm not sure how often I can practice these moves - darn work gets in the way! And I also need to spend a bit of time at the gym and at home working on my mobility so there is a definite time issue there.

The girls had another session on Saturday, this time with Jardan and they loved it as much as their first time.  We got there early and there were some boxes set up so Missy T decided to have a go at box jumps.  She lined herself up in front of the 16" box and just jumped ... there was no thought, no indecision, she just jumped ... and then proceeded to rub it in for the rest of the weekend.  Oh, to be fearless like a kid!  Moo, on the other hand, is similar to me and thinks about consequences and baulked at the box.  I know that she will be able to do it once she gets her confidence up.  Both girls loved getting on the rowers and spent some time while they were waiting for me to finish the Pilates class.  Moo rowed over 2 km ... just for something to do.  Crazy kid!

Mothers Day yesterday was a quiet day at home.  The girls gave me some homemade gifts (my favourite kind of present) and a couple of PT sessions with Jardan (my family know me so well!)  Missy T made me this cute card ... she cracks me up, that kid.

Although there is no escaping the usual Sunday chores, we found time to watch 'The Life of Pi' and have a bit of downtime.  All in all a pretty good day :-)

4 comments:

Magda said...

Sounds like you had a great day yesterday Michelle and how lucky to get some more PT sessions gifted to you. I love how your girls are getting into CF with you.

M

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle!

Balancing up into headstands from a crow then to a tripod then into a headstand is much easier than kicking into one. Headstands are very gentle, which is why kicking into them is such a difficult start.

Regarding handstands, have you tried walking up a door frame into one? This way also gives a way to catch yourself so you have a gentle way back down as you practice. I have been in handstand position several times without leaning against anything, but I do not have the balance down yet. :D

:-) Marion

Unknown said...

Hi Magda,

I'm surprised at how the kids have really taken to CF but I'm loving that it's something we can do together.

Cheers

Mich :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tips Marion. I'm currently adding in wall walks into my handstsand training which I'm told can help me. I think with consistency I will gradually get there.

Cheers

Michelle :-)