Pages

Friday, July 19, 2013

The Grinder

I recently saw this definition on The Box Magazine:

"By definition, a Grinder is a kitchen device for grinding food, a sharpener of tools or a person or thing that grinds. I feel like the last two parts of this are the ones that apply the most to me. As I train, I am sharpening my tool (overall health and body) and while doing so, I definitely have to grind it out."

This describes me to a T, I'm no Annie Thorisdottir or Camille Leblanc-Bazinet but I'm there everyday grinding it out.  My improvements are small, most probably insignificant to some, but each day I'm getting a little better whether it be in numbers or technique.

Yesterday was overhead squat day which is a movement that I continue to struggle with but I continue to chip away and while my weights are incredibly light (my 1RM is 20 kg) I felt like I was making some headway with the movement.  We then moved onto squat snatch practice and while I have the broomstick down pat I couldn't get into the squat when I was under load, even at 10 kg.  I went home and continued to practice with my broomstick and I will try again at home with my lighter bar.

Last night as I was driving home from the gym I was reflecting on the workout.  Normally I get quite disappointed in myself when I have problems with a movement but I didn't feel like that at all, I was proud of the fact that I kept trying to get it right.

No comments: