Pages

Saturday, August 03, 2013

Defying Gravity

Some days are a real struggle.  I have been doing CrossFit for over a year and I watch people go past me, lifting heavier or getting movements down pat while I slowly chip away.  I have to remind myself that most of these people are 10 - 20 (or more) years younger than me ... surely their ability to grow muscle and increase in strength means that they can do more than me.  I hate using age as an excuse but it's reality.  I wonder if I'm kidding myself when I dream about doing a muscle up or handstand push up.  Can I teach this old dog new tricks?  Or should I just accept and move on.

And then I have days like this week when I get a couple of PB's ... nothing major, just a 25 kg snatch and 52.5 kg back squat.  Again, it's nowhere near where other girls are but a PB just the same.  My double unders have just 'clicked' and I got a couple of strict pull ups with a 5 kg weight strapped to me.  Those are the days when I feel like I'm defying gravity.  When nothing can pull me down.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle, I think that there's always going to be someone younger and someone better at everything, but don't you enjoy truly knowing who you are when you do your workouts?! I think I really learned to love myself at the gym. I think much of that love came during frustration and re-tries. It's the journey, not the goal, that matters. :D

Unknown said...

You are right. My problem is impatience and I know I'm trying to rush my progress to keep up with everyone else when, in reality, if I took my time and learnt the skills properly I could possibly be a lot further along.