Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Grrrr!


Today's workout was a strength day working on our cleans.  I had one of those mornings as I was getting ready where I was cruising along and was going to be early and then all of a sudden I was running late.  I also changed up my preworkout meal and I'm not sure if it agreed with me too much.  Whatever it was (I think PMT is a factor as well), I just wasn't feeling 'it' today.

I was cranky and I struggled even with a light weight.  I just wasn't in the mood for lifting.  I noticed I was overthinking the lifts too much and as a result was off balance as I went into the squat.  I'm getting frustrated with this lift in particular as I haven't been able to get past 35 kg.  I hit that weight way back when I did the open workout in March.  That's a long time to be stuck on a weight.  The frustrating bit for me is that I nail 35 kg and then I stack the weights to make 37.5 kg and my mind just goes, "nah, it ain't gonna happen!"

I would like to try and figure out how to get past this plateau.  Maybe it's just a case of I need to get really comfortable at 35 kg like being able to do it at that weight for multiple reps to build up my confidence.  I spoke to Nick this morning about it as I was wondering if I need to mix things up a little with my diet etc.  He basically said that I need to win the battle with my mind because that is what is holding me back.  I wonder if I make some changes (eg nutrition, nice new workout gear, a powerband :P), it would have a placebo effect and trick my brain into thinking it can do something.

Maybe I should just stop overthinking things.

No comments: