Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

A Little Help From My Friends

I am so grateful for the people I have met throughout the years.  Yesterday I commented in one of my FB groups that I can't kick up into a handstand when one of the girls in the group suggested some progressions for me.  She is an ex-competitive gymnast and now a gymnastics coach and she was saying that there is no way she would get me to kick up facing away from the wall but instead have me facing the other way with my belly toward the wall and gradually work my way in building my upper body strength as I go.  She also said that this could take months (dammit!)  Nick had suggested this to me awhile ago but due to my lack of progress (I want it NOW!) I stopped doing it.  Ultimately it's back to just chipping away and making little improvements. *sigh*

Ironically, it was a gymnastics WOD yesterday and I admit that I got a little down when I watched the majority of the people kick up into handstands and I had to do box pike.  I find it incredibly frustrating as I am as strong as a lot of the girls that can handstand and I don't understand why they are able to do it and I can't.  Must. Stop. Comparing!

And to top off the week, today was seated box jumps.  Again it was hard not to get disheartened with my inability to jump higher than a few plates as everyone around me were jumping onto 24" boxes and higher but, again, I'm chipping away at my fears and while progress is slow, I'm getting there.  As I said to my training partner, I don't want to be a rockstar I just want to be able to be able to do some of the WODs as prescribed.

No comments: