Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Victoria and 13.1

Saturday's WOD was a doozy.  It was the hero WOD Victoria which is:

“Victoria”
-
5 Rounds For Time:
10 Thrusters 42.5kg/30kg
14 Box Jumps 24″/20″
12 SDHP 42.5kg/30kg
12 Burpees
27 KB Swings 24kg/16kg
-
Post Score to Comments:
Victoria was a teacher for 5 years.
The tragedy happened in room 10.
She was killed on 14-12-2012.
She was 27 years old.
She was a CrossFitter and a true Hero.
 
Victoria isn't an official hero WOD.  She was a teacher who was sadly killed in the Sandy Hook tragedy last year while trying to save the children she taught.  It always brings a tear to my eye.  Often we do hero WODs for soldiers, policemen/women or firies but this was a teacher, it brings home just how fragile life is.
 
We did this workout last year not long after the shooting.  The box she trained at came up with the above WOD and it is a really tough one but as hard as it gets throughout the workout I try to remind myself that what the teachers and children went through that day was so much worse.
 
The last time I did this WOD I completed it in 28:50.  I decided on Saturday to stick to the same weights and try to improve my time.  My only difference was using a 16" box compared to small stack of weights I jumped last year and full burpees instead of knees.  I finished the WOD in 24:07!  An improvement of almost 5 minutes!
Happy to have survived a tough WOD
Today we did a repeat of the Crossfit Open WOD 13.1.  I really think our head coach, Sean, is trying to kill us leading up to Christmas!  The WOD is:
 
CrossFit Games Open 13.1
Proceed through the sequence below completing as many reps as possible in 17 minutes of:
40 Burpees
30 Snatch (35kg/20kg)
30 Burpees
30 Snatch (60kg/35kg)
20 Burpees
30 Snatch (75kg/45kg)
10 Burpees
Max rep Snatch (95kg/55kg)
 
The burpees had to be done touching a target 6" above your fingertips at full extension.  My previous attempt at this was 135 reps doing 20 kg snatch and holding that weight.  I decided today to do 15 kg and progress through the weight from there.  I improved by 10 reps but I did lower weight so I'm not sure if I could class that as an improvement.  In saying that, it was the burpees that killed me.
 
I swear by Christmas I'll be yearning for a nice break from the gym but at the same time I do love it!
 :-)


No comments: