Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sunday Rambling

Recently the gym has been posting success and transformation stories on their Facebook page.  Their stories are so inspiring and I have loved reading each one and it inspired me to write my own.



"Over the years I had competed in a couple of bodybuilding competitions and entered countless body transformation challenges, all to try and get a physique like those in the fitness magazines.  I started Crossfit as yet another way to fix the faults in my body shape.

Initially, I was terrified of what was in store for me as I had looked online to see what Crossfit was all about and as someone who isn’t particularly athletic I thought there was no way that I would ever be able to do what these people were doing.  With that in mind I booked a one-on-one session with Sean.  After that first session I was hooked.  I could modify all the workouts to suit my level of fitness and ability which made me feel so much better.

I noticed at my first real WOD that there were people of all shapes and sizes and all killing the workout.  There was no ‘ideal’ body shape; nobody cared what people looked like what mattered most was getting the workout done with good technique.  

Since starting Crossfit I have moved away from aesthetic goals and focusing on performance ones instead.  I started to value what my body could do rather than its faults.  With that in mind I introduced my daughters to Crossfit in hope that it will nip any body image issues in the bud as well as try and teach them a healthy, fit way of life.

I have come so far since I started and I know I still have a long way to go but that has been the beauty of it; as soon as I achieve one goal another takes its place ... and I’m loving the ride."

And then I didn't send it.  You see, during the times I did the 12 week challenges I would post in the forums or send something in with my transformation photos and hope for some acknowledgement of the work that I put in; I wanted a pat on the head.  I was wondering if that was my motivation for writing this and I think it was.  I realised that I didn't need it, I know and the people around me are aware of how crossfit has changed my view on things.  I know I have many fears yet to overcome but I really do try to improve a little every day and I don't really need some people to 'like' a status on FB to prove that which is a massive step forward for my self esteem.

No comments: