Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

This Week's Lesson

Saturday's WOD was a doozy:

For Time:
20 Toes 2 Bar
20m Bear Crawl
20 Sit Ups
20m Bear Crawl
20 Burpee Box Jumps 24″/20″
20 Man Makers 20kg/15kg
20m Bear Crawl
20 Sit Ups
20m Bear Crawl
20 Toes 2 Bar
 
I was still feeling the effects of the night before but got through the workout in just under 20 minutes.
 
Something that I needed to be reminded of was the importance of organising my Saturday nutrition.  After Crossfit on Saturday we had a bit of running around to do before we went to watch Moo at cricket.  Instead of grabbing my normal banana smoothie I settled on having a protein bar and coffee to take to the fields.  Protein bars, to me, are a chemical shitstorm and in my effort to try and make the right choice for a post workout snack I stuffed up and my stomach let me know about it.
 
I had an Olympic lifting course on Saturday afternoon.  I scraped together something half decent for lunch but not nearly enough calories.  As a result my lifting was lack lustre at best.  One of the coaches came up to me as she noticed how shaky I was and gave me some suggestions for pre-workout food.  It was a little frustrating as I know what I have to do but in the busyness of the day I let my nutrition slide.  At the end of the day, if I'm going to do 3 hours of exercise I need to make sure I'm eating enough calories.
 
I likened it to drinking.  Most of the time I drink in moderation but every now and then I overdo it and then it takes me longer to recover than I would from minor surgery.  It reminds me how much it hurts and I don't do it again for a loooooong time.  My eating can be like that, most of the time I cruise along and then every now and then I do something silly and considering that I am still feeling flat today I can safely say that I have learnt my lesson and will make sure I'm eating enough in the future.
 
The lifting session was really good and I picked up some great tips.  It was a little daunting because when I showed up it was all the 'guns' and I have to admit that I felt slightly intimidated.  Not that our comp squad people are intimidating but I thought there might have been a few more numpties like me.  We were split into groups of 3 and luckily there were 2 other girls who, while they lift more than me, were within ball park of my 1RM.  We worked on the clean and jerk and broke it down into little bits which is just what I need to do to ensure I'm getting every part right.  Our group didn't get an awful lot of feedback but we were given some things to work on and I felt it really helped me to learn how to get under the bar.  As with a lot of things, I need to work on my confidence putting the bar overhead.

No comments: