Pages

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

A Good Couple of Days

I had a few days off CF last week, 1 day because I was in Brissy for my yearly girl's weekend and then 2 days off sick (I seem to get sick every year after my Brisbane trip!)  I was back in the box on Saturday for my usual Ladies class followed by Pilates.  The Ladies WOD looked like a toughie but wasn't too bad as we were in a team of 3.  The workout was:

In teams of 3:
8 min AMRAP: max plate burpees

3 min rest

In teams of 3:
15 min AMRAP
8 thrusters
8 box jumps

BUT - every minute on the minute, perform 8 jumping lunges.

I wasn't sure how I was going to go with this as it was going to get the old heart pumping and I was concerned that I wasn't up for it but I was worried for nothing as my team killed it.  I sometimes wish my athletic ability equalled my ability to come up with strategies in team WODs because we attacked the WOD differently to everyone else and got a much better score.

I also pushed myself out of my comfort zone with the thruster weight and went with 25 kg which was really tough but I'm happy that I did it.

Yesterday's WOD was working on our back squats.  Squats is an area in which I have to improve.  I have a really good squat but as soon as it gets heavy I start to shorten the movement and not get depth.  It's odd because I feel like I hit depth but at the same time I know that I could go deeper.  The beauty with the WOD yesterday is that it was in the 10 rep range and therefore a lighter weight which allowed me to focus on getting it right.  I want to strengthen my squat from the bottom of the range.

We then went onto a conditioning workout which I underscaled.  It was a EMOM WOD of 15 KB swings on the first minute, 10 squats on the second minute and 15 V-UP on the third minute for 18 minutes.  I was concerned about winding up my back so only did 12 kg KB and 20 kg squat and full V-ups (very ugly V-Ups, mind you!)  I could have gone heavier.

Today was a snatch day.  I kept the weight light as I need to work on my snatch technique and today it felt like it clicked.  There were a couple of times when I thought to myself that the movement just felt right ... it was like a lightbulb went off.

We finished with another conditioning workout.  The last couple of weeks I have been attempting full push ups in WODs and I always struggle to keep my hips up and I end up snaking the movement (my head and chest comes up but my hips stay low).  Today I really focused on keeping my core on and hips up and was really pleased with how I went.  Yay for small victories!

No comments: