Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Playing Tricks With My Mind

I survived last week's hell week of programming.  By Friday I was exhausted and aching all over but as I knew that I was going to be away for the long weekend I chose to finish the week off and just scale my weights.  I was a little disappointed in my performance as lighter weights were excruciatingly heavy and our finisher of 10 rounds of 250 m run and 25 double unders was verging on pathetic (I was cut off at 20 minutes with 10 double unders left to go in my 7th round).  I was pretty close to crying throughout the entire 20 minutes, particularly as everyone was lapping me as I trudged on.

Every year we head to Cania for the Queen's Birthday weekend and this year was no different.  I can safely say that I did absolutely nothing all weekend apart from reading, having a nanna nap and a lot of sitting around looking at this:
It was just what this tired, old bod needed.

Today was a strength workout of strict press, push press and push jerk with a finisher of EMOM of 3 push jerks on the odd minute and 30 double unders on the second minute.  I felt like I could have worked harder in the strength part of today as well as in my push jerks at the end.  I tend to get influenced by the people I train around and maybe didn't push myself as hard as I could.

I was concerned about my double unders today as they continue to be a weakness of mine.  I wasn't sure if I could get 30 in a minute and give myself enough time to get my breath back for the push jerks.  At the same time, I didn't want to scale them and therefore take away the challenge and with that in mind I asked Jardan if I could try and get as many done in 30 seconds rather than scaling to 20 or 15 skips.  I sometimes find when I have to reach a certain number I tighten up my shoulders due to the pressure of the WOD.  Instead I felt a lot better by thinking I only had to skip for 30 seconds and could stop despite the number I reached.  By tricking my mind I found that I actually reached the 30 double unders before the 30 seconds.  Isn't it funny the stuff we have to do to get through a workout?

No comments: