Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Lightbulb Moment

I had weightlifting class last night which consisted of cleans, jerks, OHS, back squat and clean pulls.  After a few days in a row of disappointing WODs involving jerks I wasn't sure how I felt about doing them again.  There was part of me that didn't want to struggle yet again but another (and bigger) part of me wanted to do it and get it down pat.

To help me with my foot placement we draw a cross on the platform.  I then position my feet a certain distance from the cross to where they should be in the split stance and mark that with chalk to give me a target.  As I said yesterday, when I'm under load my split shortens up so it's great to give me something to aim for.  Even with the bar I have a hard time getting into the correct position.

One of the cues that I have gotten from every coach is to bend my back leg more.  I keep it fairly straight which doesn't help me get under the weight.  And then I bent my back leg and, lo and behold, my front leg went out further, I was more stable and the weight went up a lot easier.  It was like something clicked.  Don't get me wrong, I had a few crappy reps after doing this but it gave me a glimmer of hope.

I'm going to miss the lifting sessions when I go back to my normal programming next week.  I have gotten so much out of it and it would be fantastic to go through the 12 week block just to see how much I improve but I just can't imagine fitting it in when the kids go back to school.  That's life as a working parent unfortunately :(

No comments: