Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Like Mother Like Daughter

The problem with having a mind-numbing, suck-fest of a job is that I spend a lot of my day in my head ... not a good thing some days hence the reason I'm blogging twice in one day.

A couple of weeks ago Missy T came home from ballet crying.  She couldn't get a certain step in her national dance and was in tears due to frustration.  She refused to talk about it with me on the way home as she didn't want my sympathy (she's a strong willed little thing) and hated it when I said to her that she was really good at tap and it was just a matter of a bit more practice.

She cried that she was the worst in the class and gets the lowest marks in ballet and was worried that she won't get this particular step before their upcoming exam.  She couldn't figure out why she has to work so hard at ballet and not reap the rewards of her hard work even though last year she improved her marks significantly, she was still the lowest in the class.  My only advice was to continue to work and she will see the benefits and to not focus on everyone else and celebrate her own improvements.

Missy T is so much like me it scares me.  I feel much the same and there are times when I'm in tears due to the frustration I get with Crossfit.  At the moment, I feel like I'm the worst athlete there and I find it really hard to get the movements right.  I'm not improving at all even with the movements that I'm okay at (I've been on orange band for pull ups for over a year) and let's not mention the movements that I already found difficult.  I try so hard to focus on my own little wins but they are so far and few between that I start to dwell on everyone else's achievements.  Like Missy T I don't want sympathy, I don't want someone to tell me it's okay I just want to be able to do it!

Between work, family and housework I don't have time to practice things in my spare time.  I wish I did.  Luckily T does have that time and practiced everyday. She got the step down pat by the next lesson and is back to her old cheery self at the studio.

No comments: