Pages

Friday, August 15, 2014

More Than 1 Way To Skin A Cat

Today was another fun day.  It has been a great week at the box with a couple of days working on our gymnastic skills.  These movements are a massive challenge for me as I have so many fears but at the same time I enjoy having a go and trying to learn new movements.

This morning's WOD was Diane which is 21, 15, 9 reps of deadlifts (70 kg) and handstand push ups.  We did this one earlier in the year so I had some numbers to compare:

Date Time Deadlift Weight (kg) HSPU Option
9/01/2014 3:56 40 Box Pike
15/08/2014 5:10 55 Box Pike

As usual, as my weight increased as did my time.  I'm happy that my time is still around the 5 minute mark.  Both my 21 and 9 rep scheme of deadlifts went unbroken with which I was really pleased.  Previously I had done the HSPU with an ab mat but Jardan said that it looked too easy so removed it.  It was good for me to get challenged that way (still wish I could kick up into a handstand though!)

The rest of the session was dedicated to our gymnastics skills with one of those movements being 'skin the cat'.  At first I thought that there was no way I would be able to do it.  I had Jardan and Tracey spotting me throughout the movement and Benito giving me verbal cues.  My first attempt I got myself upside down and didn't feel comfortable with flipping myself over.  The second try I got a bit further and with my spotters help I flipped all the way over on my third attempt.  I DID IT!!!  This was a huge accomplishment for me as I don't feel comfortable with being upside down but now that I've done it I want to go back to the gym to do it again.  Isn't funny how once you've overcome something you wonder what you were afraid of.

No comments: