Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Heartbroken



6 weeks ago Mossy was diagnosed with cancer, yesterday I decided to get him put down.  My heart is broken.  He was my training partner, he forced me to exercise even when I didn't want to.  When I was prepping for my comps we would be up at 4:30 am to go walking.  Liz even wrote programs to include him.  I'm going to miss him so much.  I'm focusing on the good stuff with him, not his illness, like:

  • when I decided to go on an 8 km run, just to see if I could.  When I got to a point when I couldn't go on I chatted to him which made it easier.  We got to about 500m from home and he lay down on the ground and wouldn't budge.  I had worn my dog out.
  • the fact that he was a working dog yet couldn't jump into or out of the back of my car, I had to lift him in and out.  He also took years to work up the courage to climb stairs.  In that respect we were so suited as I still can't jump onto a box at Crossfit.
  • when we would take him to the beach and he would bark and bite the waves but only when we were in the water with him, if he was in the water by himself he wouldn't do it ... it was like he was protecting us.
  • when we took him camping and we put him in the front half of the tent and through the night he decided to chase a possum that was outside the tent and put a little hole in it.
  • when I would take him for a walk and it would start raining. I would try and turn him around to go home but he would dig his heels in and we would have to walk in the rain.  It was alright for him, with his coat his skin would never get wet!
  • when I took him for one our park workout and we had suicide sprints, he could barely walk the next day and I ended up taking him to the vet.  I worked out that he had DOMS.
  • how he would come into the house and steal stuff like toys, clothes, the kid's headphones, the cat's bowl.
I could go on and on.  As the Winnie the Pooh quote says, "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."  Love you Mossy Boy.

No comments: